[MUD-Dev] Roleplaying in Muds

Solmyr of the Azure Star solmyr at kolumbus.fi
Mon Jul 24 17:05:56 CEST 2000

Ben wrote:

> The actual removal of levels doesn't increase Roleplaying, however by making
> the
> game more realistic it allows for the player to get a better sense of the
> reality his/her
> player is living in.  For instance I doubt a knight in medieval England ever
> asked an
> enemy knight what level he was, to see if he could beat him.

You are right, however in a true roleplaying MUD a player would not be
asking questions like that even if there were levels. All you have to do
is limit OOC/game mechanics talk, and perhaps prohibit questions like
the above altogether. Eliminating the finger command or reducing the
information it gives would also help. In short, remove any indications
of how powerful in terms of level someone is.

--
Aleksei Andrievski
solmyr at kolumbus.fi
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Fortress/2198/index.html