[MUD-Dev] curses and grief players

Jon A. Lambert jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com
Mon Jul 24 18:01:55 CEST 2000

Greg Miller wrote:
>   JCL wrote:
> > On Sun, 23 Jul 2000 13:09:48 +0100 (BST)
> > Marian Griffith <gryphon at iaehv.nl> wrote:
> >
> > > The reason why what we call democracy works is that it gives
> > > nobody enough power that their mistakes really mess up the system.
> >
> > Its worth noting that Democracy does not prevent (and can actively
> > encourage) the Tragedy of the Commons, as Brazil and several others
> > can testify.  Majority rule is easily turned, especially with media
> > cooperation, into institutionalised aristocracies.  Again, look at
> > various parts of the second and third world for examples.
>
> Indeed, but it's overall the best system we've been able to develop. The
> biggest advantage we have when working with a mud is that we can adjust
> the reality to play to the strengths of democracy, capitalism, and their
> relatives and attempt to gloss over their weaknesses.

The problems that people on this thread have pointed out with democracy
are only present in absence of a strong constitution or bill of rights.
The assumption made _here_ is "pure democracy" which does not exist in
the real world except in small institutions.  Pure democracy may indeed
exist on a MUD and it may well lead to what's decribed as tyranny of
the majority.

Raph's Player Bill of Rights is an good attempt to address that issue.
However the big loophole in constitutions is the ability to amend them.
For example... 3/4 of the State assemblies in the USA could pass
a Constitutional amendment repealing the first 10 amendments. ;-)

So by plugging the loopholes with inalienable unamendable player
rights you have an effective counter balance to tyranny of the majority.
Perhaps the only way to do it.

--
--* Jon A. Lambert - TychoMUD        Email:jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com *--
--* Mud Server Developer's Page <http://tychomud.home.netcom.com> *--