[MUD-Dev] Sustainable Ecosystem

Patrick Dughi dughi at imaxx.net
Tue Jul 25 19:49:16 CEST 2000

On Tue, 25 Jul 2000, Andy wrote:
> [...]

	This is a great idea.  It just doesn't seem to be viable.  The
chance that one person could put together in their head the realization
that killing species _x_ raises the number of species _y_, is pretty good.
Humans can handle in their head simple equations with just a few
variables.  The more variables you add, the less chance that the player
will 'get' it.  I think someone said that the normal number of things that
we can keep in our head at one time is 7.

	So, the situation of just animals existing in a specific number is
easy for someone to grasp.

	Of course, that's assuming that we actually _have_ all those
things in our head.  We probably won't have the actual variables
displayed; the best idea that populations are up or down will only come
from a player walking around and looking.  Really can you count how many .
If other players are altering/adjusting/manipulating them, and we don't
even know the potential effects of any change - or even which changes can
be done, to which variables, well....

	Now, we're assuming that players can notice and react to these
trends, and be able to both educate and regulate other players inorder to
maintain a viable system..don't hold your breath.

	A common test for any system I put in the mud is the following:
Assuming the players knew everything about the system I do, and then
assume they hate you, and want to ruin the game.  If your system lets you
get away with it, rewrite it. Maybe it's a bit of my system administration
background sneaking in, but this just seems to be common sensical to think
this way.

	If we take this system, without having an admin assign roles, and
give actual rules for the players to follow (and probably a reward system
to back up your already inplace punishment system), they're going to screw
everything up.  Not just that, but after a while, they'll leave
eventually, without even realizing that they were the cause of the
problems.  I guess it could be worse if someone then leaves because
_someone else_ made it bad to begin with.

					PjD