[MUD-Dev] Combat Systems

adam at treyarch.com adam at treyarch.com
Fri Jul 28 11:57:44 CEST 2000

On Thu, 27 Jul 2000, Phillip Lenhardt wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 27, 2000 at 03:22:40PM -0700, adam at treyarch.com wrote:
> > Each character has a task list.  The top node in the list is considered
> > their current task: the one they are doing at this moment in time.
> > In fact, their room description is generated based on this task: for example,
> > you might see "Bubba is sitting here, honing a steel dagger" or "Boffo
> > is standing here, eating an apple."
>
> The scheduler in Moebius works along these same lines, but we have one
> global queue into which we insert events. Just like you, we simulate long
> actions by having the Nth event in a long action schedule the N+1th event.

Excellent!  Is Moebius a running mud?  I couldn't find it on the mud
connector.

For what it's worth, I also have a global (read: generic) event queue that
I use for events not attached to specific characters.  The event code in the
mud-dev FAQ is very close to my own implementation.

My 'tasks' system just adds a lot of character-specific niceties that help
out both the players (giving them control over their event queues) and
the developers (allowing me to code new tasks without worrying about what
happens when an object gets deallocated between the start and finish of
the task, etc).

Adam