[MUD-Dev] Roleplaying in Muds

Patrick Dughi dughi at imaxx.net
Sat Jul 29 18:30:50 CEST 2000

On Fri, 28 Jul 2000, Josh Anderson wrote:

> Miroslav Silovic wrote:
> > OOC communication is used to
> > simplify things that would otherwise require a long time just to go
> > from room to room and talk to people - and do things that are actually
> > fun.
>
> I've never said to remove public channels totally.  I personally have no
> problem with them whatsoever.  Here, however, is the kicker:
>
> "A valid roleplaying reason for them must exist."
>
> What I mean by this, is that I think it's rather silly to have some
> apparently godgiven talent to be able to speak across the globe, spheres of
> existence, planes, or incredible distances to whoever you want, or everyone
> at once, any time at all.  I can't think of a single reason why any normal
> human (dwarf/elf/blah) should be able to mysteriously have this ability with
> little to no penalty for it's use.

	I'm not sure why a valid rp reason would be needed.  An 'ooc'
channel wouldn't be associated necessarily with a player.  Why would you
need to have a RP restriction on asking someone if they wanted to catch a
movie later, or order pizza?

	It sounds like this sort of restriction will simply make your rp
and ooc worlds more closely knit - which seems to defeat the whole point
of seperating them in the first place.

	I won't rehash the arguments about people (especially new people)
with no easy way to communicate in an OOC manner causing frustration.
They'll use icq, or something, or just not play your mud.  That does seem
to be what you're setting up though.

			PjD