[MUD-Dev] Roleplaying vs Immersion

Erik Jarvi ejarvi at megsinet.net
Sun Jul 30 22:01:03 CEST 2000

On Sun, Jul 30, 2000 at 12:58:26AM +0200, Miroslav Silovic wrote:

<snip>

> Now, a few measures that increase immersion:
>   - remove all OOC communication and police the remaining means of
>     communication for OOCness
>   - simulate every aspect of the game world
>   - withdraw the information that you can't prove the player could
>     have obtained
>
> A few measures that increase roleplaying:
>   - ask the players to separate IC and OOC communication and the
>     information obtained, police for abuses
>   - simulate every action a player could possibly do within the game
>     world, have staffers ready to serve special requests (because the
>     players that have creative ideas and approaches to the problems
>     deserve rewards)
>   - withdraw the information that you are absolutely sure player could
>     not have, ask the players to use common sense for all the rest
>     (and naturally, punish abuses).

Can you elaborate the difference between:
   - withdraw the information that you can't prove the player could have obtained

and

   - withdraw the information that you are absolutely sure player could
     not have, ask the players to use common sense for all the rest

I suspect that it has to do the the keyword "prove".

I'd also be curious how to implement/police this without being draconian.
Can you?

Erik
--
All music aspires to the condition of muzak.