[MUD-Dev] Bay Area Press re: UO, the good the bad and the Ugly.

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Fri Jun 2 11:27:56 CEST 2000

"F. Randall Farmer" wrote:

> Perhaps we should open a new thread about RL social conciousness in
> multiuser system design:
>  "Should our software periodically tell Timmy that he should go out and play
> for awhile?" :-)

Let's turn that around:

"Should you periodically call Timmy on the phone and tell him to log on
and play the game for a while?"

Clearly, the answer to this question is a big NO.

I'd say the converse applies. If I want to play the game, let me play
the game. I'll log off when I feel like it. If I don't want to play the
game, let me go around and not play it. I'll log on when I feel like it.
If I abuse the privilege, then bad things will happen -- maybe I lose my
job for playing games all the time, maybe my character on the game gets
robbed blind, whatever -- and that will be my fault. I don't think it's
your place as the game's operators to tell me what to do except as the
continued operation of the game demands, i.e. usage policies and in-game
regulations.