[MUD-Dev] Thoughts about smarter Sims

Mordengaard mordengaard at redhotant.com
Fri Jun 2 13:21:55 CEST 2000

> Jon A Lambert wrote:
>
> Well here are a few examples...
>
> Tactics ...
<snippage>

> Strategies...
<more snippage>

> This sort of AI is quite common to other games.  Not so in most muds.
> The key here is not just designing goals that "win" games for NPCs since
> in a mud there is usually no "game-over" position for an NPC other than
> death.  But goals that attempt to maintain and extend a winning position
for
> a given NPC.

Uh-huh... I was thinking of implementing more intelligent NPCs on my MUD...
I've just about got a few mobs working using the feed/fight/mate system of
drives, but what you're doing here seems (to me) to be of another order of
magnitude altogether.  Is there an "AI for Dummies" that I should be looking
at before I can grasp half of what you've covered here?

Mordengaard