[MUD-Dev] Bay Area Press re: UO, the good the bad and the Ugly.

Paul Schwanz - Enterprise Services Paul.Schwanz at east.sun.com
Fri Jun 2 15:32:21 CEST 2000

Caliban wrote:
> I'd say the converse applies. If I want to play the game, let me play
> the game. I'll log off when I feel like it. If I don't want to play the
> game, let me go around and not play it. I'll log on when I feel like it.
> If I abuse the privilege, then bad things will happen -- maybe I lose my
> job for playing games all the time, maybe my character on the game gets
> robbed blind, whatever -- and that will be my fault. I don't think it's
> your place as the game's operators to tell me what to do except as the
> continued operation of the game demands, i.e. usage policies and in-game
> regulations.

But how the MMORPG is designed can influence greatly how much time will be spent
in the game.  Raph once quoted Jonathon Baron (I wish I could remember the exact
quote) as saying basically that current MMORPGs are all based on how much time you
spend in the game.  If you want to achieve, you must play endlessly.  Maybe Timmy
doesn't really want to play the game for 80 hours per week.  Maybe Timmy just
wants to achieve.  We help define achievment for Timmy by how we design the game.

--Phinehas

		"All things are permissible,
			but not all things are expedient."