[MUD-Dev] Bay Area Press re: UO, the good the bad and the Ugly.

Shakkar wjshort at wworld.com
Sun Jun 4 12:36:33 CEST 2000

This is my first post to the list, but I've been following it for some time
and other forums.  I've also spent many, many hours in some of the worlds
members of the list have designed.   I think some of you have missed the
point and seem more intent on absolution than on the real crux of the issue.
Lets say its given that only a small percentage of players will reach that
dreadful stage of the person in the article.  And that it isn't truly your
fault that he got there.  There:  you're absolved.  Now lets move on to what
Raph has said better than most and what I think the real crux of the issue
is.   There is a difference between trying to decide for the player how many
hours at a stretch he will play and designing your game to require those who
wish to achieve spend endless time to do it.  UO had this problem to some
degree with people feeling they needed to macro to keep up, but its got
nothing on Everquest.  It is ROUTINE in Everquest for people to want to get
an item and to play in one spot til they drop from exhaustion still trying
to get it.  If Everquest offered many items of nearly equal usefulness it
would help somewhat (there is only one journeyman boots I mean here for
example) but even more would be not to have a game mechanic where it really
takes 24 hours of straight gaming to acquire them.  Here we seemingly have
much of the game tied up in exactly these type of game mechanics; requiring
many hours of uninterrupted play to achieve their goals.  This is bad from
both the bandwidth issue, design issues, and from any social conscience that
you designers may have.