[MUD-Dev] Bay Area Press re: UO, the good the bad and the Ugly.

Shakkar wjshort at wworld.com
Sun Jun 4 12:39:29 CEST 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: Dave Rickey <daver at mythicgames.com>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Saturday, June 03, 2000 5:25 PM
Subject: Re: [MUD-Dev] Bay Area Press re: UO, the good the bad and the Ugly.

Ugly.

> >Pretty much every flat fee company out there is trying to reduce average
> >hours lpayed per session and per week in their next games. As Gordon
Walton
> >(ex of Kesmai and now running UO) put it to me, "UO is the perfect game
for
> >an hourly fee scheme."
> >
>    And much luck to them....  Problem is, they're trying to pull on both
> ends of the same thread there.  You want a game that is so compelling that
> people will play it month after month, paying along the way.  But at the
> same time, you want to make it so easy to stop playing the game that
people
> will play only 5-10 hours a week.

This sounds a bit exaggerated.  There is a difference between the average
person playing 5-10 hours a week and having a large number of people playing
40 or more.  In many cases the game design overly encourages those people to
play 40 or more hours per week; in the cases of some particular, one of a
kind and seemingly required items, even more.  You can make a compelling
game without requiring many hours all at once be played to reach a
particular goal.