[MUD-Dev] Birthday Cake (or Why Large Scale Sometimes Sucks) (long)

Miroslav Silovic silovic at zesoi.fer.hr
Tue Jun 6 19:55:51 CEST 2000

Brian Green <brian at psychochild.org> writes:

> Raph's statement about the market is true, *if you are building a large
> scale, mass-market product.*  When you water your content down to please
> the masses, you should not expect soul-searching introspection aspects
> of the content to remain intact.  At best, thinking you can is naive; at
> worst, there is nothing more dangerous than a creative person with a
> message and a medium that cannot sufficiently express the message.

While I agree with most of your post, the implication of this
paragraph is not true.

You *DO NOT* have to water down the content to appeal to the
masses. It is one way to attract the crowd - but one we all despise,
and most definitely not the only way.

Just remember that one of the most popular books written in this
century (soon to be 'previous century') was Lord of the Rings. There's
still hope. :)

And then, White Wolf have published a bunch of roleplaying games that
got VERY popular... while their games do get angsty or even downright
silly in spots, their writers always at least -try- to make their
games profound.

--
How to eff the ineffable?