Hidden identities. (was [MUD-Dev] (no subject))

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Thu Jun 8 20:11:13 CEST 2000

On Thu, 8 Jun 2000 18:28:07 +0000 (GMT)
Wes Connell <wconnell at skotos.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Jun 2000 adam at treyarch.com wrote:

>> On Thu, 08 Jun 2000 18:17:24 -0700
>> J C Lawrence <claw at kanga.nu> wrote:

>>> A different model given a whities vs darkies style game:

>>>   You have a character.  It has defined stats, but no defined
>>> side.

>>>   The system dynamically assigns the character a side upon each
>>> login, with the choice being made on the basis of balancing the
>>> sides.

>>>   Upon character death (assuming no permadeath), the character may
>>> be assigned to a different side upon ressurection.

>>>   XP during a life is awarded proportionately to the success of
>>> that side during that life, or that character's assistance to his
>>> current side.

>> Perhaps rather than being random, it would assign the player to
>> whichever side currently had "less" power - power decided in some
>> arbitrary way such as which has the most players, which has a
>> certain Idol of Power (some in-game object), or which has had the
>> least recent PvP deaths.

Umm, isn't that what, "...the choice being made on the basis of
balancing the sides" above means?

> I love this idea!  One thing that we should also
> consider... should the side alerations be persistant offline? If I
> am assigned to side X and I log out will I still be assigned to
> side X when I log back in next week?

If, and only if, that side is "losing" and you assisitance is needed
to help move the game towards balance.

> What about more than two sides? (Fire, Water, Earth, Air)?

That was actually my first thought.  I had the idea when facing a
Quake CTF login where the options were Blue, Red, Yellow, or
Automatic, where "Automatic" assigned you to the "losing" side.
What I'd really like to see this applied to tho is a political game,
where its not a question of NPC kills or direct XP gathering, but of
inter-player manipulation.  It would be tough as hell to tally of
course, or to accurately compute for side assignment, but on the
other hand consider the sorts of meta-societies that would be formed
by such transient player alliances.

Would it work, it could be very fun.

J C Lawrence                                 Home: claw at kanga.nu
----------(*)                              Other: coder at kanga.nu