[MUD-Dev] Birthday Cake (or Why Large Scale Sometimes Sucks) (long)

John Buehler johnbue at email.msn.com
Fri Jun 9 19:19:23 CEST 2000

Ola Fosheim Grøstad
Sent: Friday, June 09, 2000 4:34 AM

>> What exactly constitutes a multiplayer game?
>
> Stuff that makes intense interaction and strengthening of relations
> between two people possible.

Exactly.  The odd thing is the problem of what interactions players
consider as strengthening relations.  I believe that women, as a group,
will favor cooperative interactions.  Men, as a group, seem to favor
competitive interactions.

I'm sure we've all seen the classic PvP arguments rage back and forth
over this player saying how much conflict and competition adds to a
world and that it is a huge motivating factor in society, and that
player saying how little fun there is in having their pursuits being
foiled by other players, and the first player calling them a pansy for
wanting everything their way.  Back and forth, back and forth.  It all
boils down to what we enjoy, and to my mind there are two basic play
styles that I've seen (on a different axis from the Explorer, etc,
quartet) - those of competition and cooperation.

These are very rough statements.  For the record, as a man, I favor
cooperative interactions in gaming.