[MUD-Dev] The Virtues of Small Muds - was (Our player's keepers? )

rayzam rayzam at home.com
Mon Jun 12 01:33:26 CEST 2000

----- Original Message -----
>From: "Jon A. Lambert" <jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com>
>
> There's another poll question for you.
>
> If you are a mud administrator or part of a team developing, building or
> working on a mud, why are you doing it?
>
> 1) I'm a professional games designer.  I make my living doing this.
> 2) I'm doing this to make lots of money and have good time while doing it.
> 3) I like interesting people.  I like meeting them, getting to know them,
>    and playing games with them.
> 4) I do it for glory.  I want my name etched in the virtual noosphere
>    as a significant contributor to the mud community to the growing body
>    of open source.
> 5) I want to be like a god or king.  I want players to kneel before me,
>    and acknowledge my skills and intellect.
> 6) This is a hobby for me.  I just like the challenges of programming
>    and building, and entertaining others with my creations.
> 7) Beats the hell out of me.  I have no idea.  I think it's fun so like
>    go away and get outta my face.

    This is a very good question. Though personally I think it is harder to
nail down than those 7 choices. Choices 4 & 5 are for people who don't often
survive a few years. And then there's a choice that resonates with the
earlier statements, and that is because of friends, be they irl or virtual
strangers.

    Finally, there's my personal choice: This is my creative outlet. I give
life to my ideas and imagination, and my work on the mud is an artistic
endeavor.
    This makes it different from (6), because some people aren't in it for
the challenges of programming, but the challenges of the 'inner eye'.

    Rayzam
    www.retromud.org