Backstory (was RE: [MUD-Dev] New poll)

Lee Sheldon linearno at gte.net
Tue Jun 13 11:53:40 CEST 2000

That's a very nice analogy in a number of ways.  The differences in the ways
they are structured.  The approach to each.  The relative newness of one
compared to the other...

>some people
> will make the
> jump. some don't want to.

Yes, fear of the new thing.  Or total non-interested in interactive, or its
audience.  And many are basically just lazy.

> now, saying you want to, how much
> of a traditional
> writing background will apply? as in music, many of the
> traditions and known
> rules were really useful and very powerful when writing a
> game. other so
> called rules of writing and structure were best forgotten
> entirely. they
> were restrictive and irrelevant. --- angela

Exactly, what I try to do when I teach is give examples of traditional
narrative tools (from fiction, drama, film, whatever) that seem to work
quite well in games and MUDs.  And by no means do I think we've used all
that are possible.  New connections are waiting to be discovered.

Other than a couple obvious ones like linearity, though, I haven't found
many rules that can just be thrown out.  What are some that you think simply
don't work?

Lee