[MUD-Dev] Re: [Meta] New poll

adam at treyarch.com adam at treyarch.com
Tue Jun 13 17:00:25 CEST 2000

On Sat, 10 Jun 2000, Matthew Mihaly wrote:
> Anyone else out there that has adopted our business model (free play with
> players buying skills/items/property for real money) or had success with
> it prior to this? I don't know of any other muds that are set up with our
> business model, but I'd definitely be interested in talking to any admins
> out there that do this.

Although it's hard for me to think of it as a "business model", since the
admins in question were not part of a business, this method of making money
through muds has been around for a long time.  Two that come to mind are
Medeivia and Dark Castle.  The muds in this category were, almost without
exception, incredibly cheesey dikumud descendants who happily broke the
diku license by selling "god toys" (uber-powerful items) to players.

Dark Castle seems to have a system similar to Matt's credits:

http://www.dcastle.enteract.com/DCstuff/plat.html

Adam