[MUD-Dev] Games vs. simulations

Charles Hughes charles.hughes at bigfoot.com
Tue Jun 13 22:17:02 CEST 2000

On Tuesday, June 13, 2000 5:14 AM, Matthew Mihaly
[SMTP:the_logos at achaea.com] wrote:
> I think some things, like "realistic" room systems are built mainly just
> out of the (laudable) goal of just wanting to see if it can be done. I,
> personally, LIKE traditional room systems. They don't bother me a bit.
> They are like the walls of the ravine that you can't climb in a video
> game. They are just there and you accept the limitations, and move on.

Ick!  I don't like unreasonable barriers.  A dozen grenades won't dent a
wall
in the likes of Half-Life, but a crowbar will make a soda machine explode.

Is anyone working on a relatively true-to-life physics simulated first
person multi-player game that doesn't use invulnerable walls?

There is a lot to be said for a simulation - people (well, me anyway) like
the little surprises of watching balls bounce somewhat realistically,
seeing icicles melt, and causing a rock avalanche to crush your foes in
a most gruesome and disgusting way. :)

Conversely, we don't like walls of plaster that a sword can't hack through,
trees that an axe can't chop down, and windows that can't be broken.