[MUD-Dev] Lego bulk ordering

Jason Spangler stormwind at wombatgames.com
Wed Jun 14 20:05:01 CEST 2000

J C Lawrence wrote:

> At least one person here is known to occassionally build his areas
> with lego as part of his design process (Hi Chris!).  Lego (the
> company) is now selling certain brick in bulk:
>
>   http://www.lego.com/bulk/

I'm going to have to place an order for several hundred trees to complete
my castle/forest/bandits area.  :-)

> Those of us with small kids have entirely other reasons for going,
> "Ooooooooo yeah!"

Speaking of Lego, has anyone seen the LUGNET web site before
(http://www.lugnet.com/)?  It is a very active online community that
started out as an improvement over the rec.toys.lego newsgroup.  Some of
the most interesting features are:

- an article rating system in which registered users can rate a message
  posted to the Lugnet newsgroups.  The highest rated postings are
  highlighted and are put into an automated summary of all discussions
  on the site (http://www.lugnet.com/spotlight)
- a Lego set database to which users contribute data and pictures
  (http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/browse.cgi)
- member home pages (http://www.lugnet.com/people/members/bylastname.cgi)
- Datsville, a virtual LEGO city being built by users
  (http://www.lugnet.com/cad/datsville/)
- it is home of a discussion group focused on Lego robotics which
  also shares information about reverse engineering the Mindstorms
  programmable bricks (http://www.lugnet.com/robotics/)
- the Cool LEGO Site of the Week (http://www.lugnet.com/cool/), which is
  voted upon by users weekly
- a newsgroup where LEGO actually has an official representative post
  occasionally (http://www.lugnet.com/lego/)
- set and piece trading and auction newsgroups
  (http://www.lugnet.com/market/)

It is a very successful online community with a large level of user
involvement and a fairly high signal-to-noise ratio.  Perhaps we can
learn some things from it to apply to our more game-like online
communities.