[MUD-Dev] Games vs. simulations

Richard Tew richard.tew at wiredgroup.com
Sat Jun 17 17:34:15 CEST 2000

> From: Matthew Mihaly [mailto:the_logos at achaea.com]
> On Wed, 14 Jun 2000, Dmitri Zagidulin wrote:
> > That is, do you agree that having a large, wide-scope world has many
> > in-game benefits and is desirable?
> > If so, do you think it's really possible to do expansive
> terrain (lakes,
> > fields, wilderness in general, seas, planets) using the
> myopic room-based
> > system?
>
> Oh, absolutely. Now, having said that, for big areas of
> boring wilderness,
> I don't have much a problem with coordinate systems. We are planning a
> ships and ocean system that will likely involve a
> coordinate-based ocean.
> The ocean will, however, be boring, as coordinate room systems in text
> muds tend not to be very interesting in my experience.

Yup, ours is boring.  Its what I plan to do with it that I hope will be
interesting.  Seagoing vessels owned by players or NPCs.  NPCs and
players employeed or travelling on seagoing vessels.  Option to employ
NPCs or other players to captain your vessels, meaning if you wish to
have them hauling cargo, you don't have to be logged on all the time.
Theres still the option of captaining them yourself, but doing it
through a persistent character with you logged off perhaps some or
most of the time.  Distance will of course will have to be realistic.
And more.

Like most of the long distances between places, getting to and fro
will almost have to rely on persistent characters actually.

But this is the fun stuff to code, can't wait till I polish off our
coordinate system.

Richard.