[MUD-Dev] Remote client connection

Travis Casey efindel at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 20 15:52:36 CEST 2000

Tuesday, June 20, 2000, 2:33:03 PM, Phillip Lenhardt wrote:
PL> On Fri, Jun 16, 2000 at 07:19:16PM -0500, Patrick Dughi wrote:

>> somewhere probably in spring of 95-96).  I shudder to think of a mud
>> interface using text.  Having a mud interface then, based on multiple
>> choice would be an affront to the whole idea of RPG's as a whole.

PL> I disagree (and so does Chris Crawford, so I feel I'm in good company :).

PL> A multiple choice mud interface could be just the thing you need to help
PL> direct players to the meaningful choices presented by a situation instead
PL> of implicitly allowing them to do meaningless things.

That, to me, is a problem for roleplaying.  For good roleplaying,
meaning should come from the *character*, not from the *scenario*.
Things that are "meaningless" from a standpoint of "Do you defeat the
monsters?  Do you get the treasure?" can be extremely *meaningful*
from the standpoint of "What kind of people are these characters?
What motivates them and how do they act?"

Now, for an adventure game, multiple choice prompts might work very
well -- but for a roleplaying game, they're very limiting.

--
       |\      _,,,---,,_    Travis S. Casey  <efindel at earthlink.net>