[MUD-Dev] Reach out and bitch at someone

Marc Bowden ryumo at merit.edu
Fri Jun 30 00:09:34 CEST 2000

--On Thu, Jun 29, 2000 23:38 -0400 rayzam <rayzam at home.com> wrote:

>     The other thing I've noted is that it also correlates with
>     advancement in the game. If they're new, they tend to be more
> arrogant/aggressive. Or if they've gained a number of
> levels/skills/power/what-have-you, and become more of a BMOM
> [big-man-on-mud], they become nastier when dealing with the wiz
> staff. It's strange as I would think they'd have more understanding
> for the staff, but instead they seem to feel more arrogant and
> 'invincible'.

  No, it makes sense from the perspective of their percieved "place" in
the universe. Since they've conquered all challenges and can basically
walk over anyone they please, they see the game as more properly
'theirs' by the litmus test that the immortal staff doesn't exercise
any powers he can *see*. They must not be as powerful as him, since
they don't affect the world the way he does, and thus, are beneath his
contempt and obvious inferiors.

  At some point, all players get the idea in their heads that the
purpose of everyone else on the MUD is to serve their needs, wants, and
whims. Some arrive at that point with the arrival at some real or
personal benchmark of achievement. Others do it as they're just
starting, and these are usually the younger kids, who've been raised
with the message that the sun rises and sets on their whim. The virtual
environment provides a buffering from normal social controls that lets
them believe that they can finally act on the natural superiority over
all creation that they've known they had all along but were hampered
from expressing that cosmic truth by inconvenient physical limitations.

  It's amazing the mental gymnastics the kids will go through to place
themselves mentally at the top of the food chain.

 - Marc