[MUD-Dev] MUD timeline

Koster Koster
Wed Mar 8 10:16:05 CET 2000

Thanks for your additions!

> What other major worlds pioneered in the East?  I read of a
> Habitat spinoff
> licensed in Japan.

That's on the timeline, thanks to Randy Farmer. :)

> Have other spatial graphic online worlds gathered 10,000
> simultaneous users
> in the same world?  By same world, I mean that the players
> can travel and
> interact with each other at the same time, as opposed to
> cloned worlds.  All
> items, records, creatures and so on in the world.

I don't know of any. I know that the Realm claimed to have capacity for that
many, but I don't know if they actually hit that amount. On the major
US-based games, the limiting factor is usually not the technology but the
amount of map/game data available. That plus the advantages for customer
reach that come with co-location lead to the creation of cloned worlds. (The
term "shards" from UO seems to have entered the common industry vocabulary
now, which is amusing, since it's so fiction-specific).

-Raph

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu