[MUD-Dev] Gamasutra: Online Justice Systems

Matthew Mihaly diablo at best.com
Wed Mar 22 14:20:33 CET 2000

On Wed, 22 Mar 2000, Sayeed wrote:

> -A few next generation graphical MUDs in development, (Horizons
> and the Awakening Project are two), are toying with the
> idea of single characters.  I assume that they came to
> the conclusion that within a more ordered fantasy world,
> people can have a LOT more fun, and the sacrifice of having
> other simultaneous personas is worth the benefit that such
> order will provide.  I'm very interested in how they will turn out.

They will fail if they are basing their system on the idea of single
characters. You cannot prevent people having multiple characters. They can
use seperate credit cards and seperate names. Ensuring there is only one
character on per IP won't help either. I have personally, in the past,
created multiple accounts and played them simultaneously using multiple
credit cards and seperate ISPs. All you do with a system like that is make
it easier on the people willing to go to greater lengths, because you
create the presumption that no one is multi-playing, thus providing
excelelnt cover for those who are multi-playing.

--matt