[MUD-Dev] Trouble Makers or Regular Citizens

Matthew Mihaly the_logos at achaea.mudservices.com
Wed Mar 29 01:54:35 CEST 2000

On Tue, 28 Mar 2000, Kevin Scott London wrote:

> I see a couple of problems with this view.  First, if you are talking
> banning someone it is usually on the IP level.  Today, going on IP and
> even email is not very reliable becuase there are so many free services
> and ways to mask your IP, that these give only an indication of who it
> really is.  Also, in the process of banning whole IPS you also lose more
> players that are not trouble makers.  As for looking at someone who is a
> good customer, the only problem I see is things like the good customer
> gets mad at someone because he won't do something, then complains and lies
> saying that they were bugging him, etc....
> Just my 2 cents on the matter :)

Yes, this is a problem. We don't ban troublemakers from AOL, for instance.
I do find, however, that e-mailing AOL's abuse department (if the users
behavior warrants it) is quite effective. Nearly all our banned IP
addresses are either dedicated IPs, or high schools/public libraries (man
I wish there was a central database of these. I'd happily ban every high
school and public library in existence.)

Regarding the good customer complaiing....we don't actually get much of
this for some reason. I don't know if it's the culture that has grown or
what, but we get very very few complaints about other players from major
players. We try to foster a sort of take-care-of-yourself attitude, and
the only times we really get other players complaining is either a)
someone has really gone over the line p-killing, or b) some newbie is
being really annoying.

--matt