[MUD-Dev] A footnote to Procedural Storytelling

Paul Schwanz - Enterprise Services Paul.Schwanz at east.sun.com
Mon May 1 17:12:34 CEST 2000

Raph wrote:
> Also, Chris Crawford is trying to get a conference giong on Interactive
> Storytelling. Right now it is not multiplayer or single-player centric, is
> invite only, and happens in his front yard. It's called Phrontisterion, I
> went last year and don't know if I am going this year. Did I post the URL to
> the conference ntoes already here? Well, in case I didn't:
>
> http://www.erasmatazz.com/library/Miscellania/PhrontisterionReport.html

Chris Crawford has been doing quite a bit of research and writing regarding this
whole concept for a number of years.  For those who want an introductory look
into his thoughts on the issue, I suggest his article:

"Interactivity, Plot, Free Will, Determinism, Quantum Mechanics, and Temporal
Irreversibility"

The article is located at:

http://www.erasmatazz.com/library/JCGD_Volume_8/Free_Will_Determinism.html

(If the title of the article doesn't pique your interest, I don't know what
will.  I read it about two years ago and it served to introduce me to the
challenge of interactive storytelling.)

The library at his erasmatazz site is chock full of articles about interactive
storytelling.  If you read all of them, you'll get a good picture of the
evolution of Chris' thinking on the issue over the past 4 years.

--Phinehas

		"All things are permissible,
			but not all things are expedient."