[MUD-Dev] A footnote to Procedural Storytelling

Brandon J. Rickman dr.k at pc4.zennet.com
Tue May 2 20:01:02 CEST 2000

On Tue, 2 May 2000 rob at cs.nwu.edu wrote:
> in addition, quite a few people from the academic ai community are becoming
> interested in the artificial intelligence aspects of interactive
> entertainment (yes, including storytelling). actually, the aaai organized an
> excellent symposium last month on that topic (links below). with some luck,
> it may be repeated next spring as well.
>
> they usually also have pretty good fall symposia, the upcoming one
> including, among others, a session on socially-intelligent agents - details
> at http://www.aaai.org

There was an even better symposium (Fall 1999) on Narrative Intelligence.
You should still be able to get some interesting references at
[http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~michaelm/NISchedule.html].

Highlights of the symposium included:

- Selmet Bringsjord's proof that "interesting stories are not computable,
therefore cannot be generated."  (I've yet to buy the book, but it might
be of academic interest to some of you: _Artificial Intelligence and
Literary Creativity : Inside the Mind of Brutus, a Storytelling Machine_)

- Demos of new work being done at Zoesis (www.zoesis.com), which was
founded by Joseph Bates.

- A very strange performance of something called Dr. K---, which had
something to do with simulation versus fabrication.

In general this "narrative intelligence" research doesn't deal well with
multiple participants, which is clearly a critical issue for a mud.  And
personally I'm not too crazy about the agent-based approach.

- B!
(aka Dr. K---)