[MUD-Dev] Crafts Systems (was:Simpson's "In-Game Economics of UO")

Jeff Freeman skeptack at antisocial.com
Thu May 4 09:04:46 CEST 2000

David Frank - "Valen":
>I think we can all agree that giving people the option to do what they
like most
>is great, but is it always worth the time ( and money ) to implement?

"Always"?  'Course not.

>If you have 1000 PCs in your world and only 10 enjoy farming pipeweed,
should you make
>farming pipeweed an option?  It would make more sense to focus your
attention on
>features which a broader swipe of your population will enjoy.

'Depends.  Another 900 of the PCs might just like the fact that 10 people
enjoy and can farm pipeweed, even though they themselves aren't keenly
interested in doing it.

A lot of PKs in UO liked the fact that other players could mine, for
example, even though they didn't like to do it themselves.

>Of course picking which options to include and which to exclude can be a
>daunting task, but by observing other worlds and listening to players (and
>taking into account what type of player is suggesting things) you should
be able
>to come reasonably close.

I think that whether people are interested in doing something can depend a
lot on how that something is implemented.  We had a really *lousy*
cooking-skill implemented, and no one used it.  Almost no one ever asked
for it to be enhanced or improved (or anything else - they just pretended
it didn't exist).

Since we re-did it and made it cool, we've got cooks popping out of the
woodwork (and now they ask for all sorts of enhancements to the skill).

--
 http://dundee.uong.com/