[MUD-Dev] A footnote to Procedural Storytelling

Joe Andrieu joe at andrieu.net
Thu May 4 11:10:41 CEST 2000

The great thing about Selmer is that he is his own best Devil's
Advocate. Pretty much for his entire academic career he has
simultaneously challenged the idea that computers can think, while
doing his best to actually create programs that can tackle the hardest
AI problems, including creativity.

The book is a worthwhile read, a real mental workout in formal logic
and thinking about how computers can pass Selmer's modified version of
the Turing Test, which he calls the super-short-story (SSS) test.
Start with any first sentence, given to a number of human writers and
computer writers. Each writes a story that's a page or two long (500
words, I believe). Compare. Pick out the computer generated ones.  If
you can't, the computers pass the test.

The cool thing is that the first version of his software, Brutus.1,
has actually written stories that have passed a web-based version of a
limited SSS test.  However, as Brandon pointed out, most work in this
area is focusing on either one-player experiences with a small stage
and a few actors or actual written story generation.  Transforming
this to MUDs is, shall we say, a challenge.

For more info on Selmer's thoughts on computer creativity, check out
"Chess is too easy:"
http://www.techreview.com/articles/ma98/bringsjord.html

-j

--