[MUD-Dev] Alignment

Malcolm Valentine spin at fastlink.com.au
Thu May 4 12:20:48 CEST 2000

On Mon, May 01, 2000 at 11:41:34AM -0400, Phillip Lenhardt wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 30, 2000 at 02:27:57AM +1000, Malcolm Valentine wrote:
> > Paul Schwanz wrote:
> > > Solution #29863:  Use the wonderful properties of multiplying signed
> > > integers. Killing is evil (-).   Killing is _very_ evil (-5).  Dragon is
> > > evil (-).  Dragon is _quite_ evil (-3).  Princess is _very_ good (+5).
> > > Killing the dragon is now _extremely_ good (-5 * -3 = +15), but killing
> > > the princess is _supremely_ evil (-5 * +5 = -25).
> >
> >   Unfortunately two wrongs don't make a right. Even worse, if I do a good
> > deed (+) to an evil creature (-), that counts as evil-doing...
>
> I'm not sure what case you are covering by "two wrongs don't make a
> right.", but I for one have no problem with helping an evil creature being
> an evil deed. Why would healing a demon while it is battling a paladin be
> a good deed?

  Well, as the heart of this discusssion shows, good and bad are very
difficult to determine. Sure, your demon battle example is a bad thing,
however, giving food to someone so they don't have to steal it should
be a good thing, whatever their alignment. Also, IMHO and in general,
the actual act of deciding who is good and who is evil is an evil act,
for the character that is, not the game designer, and so the character
must in general treat everyone as though they are "good". Obviously
slavering demons are an exception.

Cheers,
  Malcolm V.