[MUD-Dev] Advogato

Travis Nixon tnixon at avalanchesoftware.com
Sat May 6 15:13:54 CEST 2000

J C Lawrence wrote:

>I've just wandering thru the list of people registered on Advogato
>(a site BTW I'm intending to model large chunks of Kanga.Nu on) and
>was a little surprised to note how few MUD-Devers were there...
>
>The main point of my interest however was his trust metric model as
>documented at:
>
>  http://www.advogato.org/trust-metric.html
>
>This seems interesting from a number of perspectives, not only
>encluding the peerage, but for internal use within a gmae both for
>RP manipulation/modelling and more subtle/invasive social
>engineering.
>
>Thoughts?

Er, maybe I'm confused, but what exactly does a trust metric have to do with
mud development?

You still have to assume the client is in the hands of the enemy, don't you?

I can easily see how something like this might apply to, say, a network
infrastructure, but I fail to understand how it might be helpful in
"defining online communities, reliably excluding spammers, trolls, and other
common annoyances."

Anybody care to enlighten me?

:)