[MUD-Dev] Medievia ads in PCGamer?

Rasdan rasdan at home.com
Tue May 9 23:00:23 CEST 2000

On Tue, 9 May 2000, "Schubert, Damion" wrote:
> In this month's copy of PCGamer, there was an ad for the Medievia
>  MUD.  Much like the game, the ad is pretty much all text. =).
> Interesting - that ad space isn't cheap.
The ad was paid for using donations that players have given in order to help
fund the continuation of the game.

> Anyone here work on Medievia currently?  It'd be interesting to
>  get a developer perspective on how that game is doing and where
> it is going.

I don't work for Medievia but I have played it and their desire is to
eventually get some sort of public funding in order to hire full-time programmers and
world designers. They eventually hope to support 50,000+ players online at the same
time, within the same game (not like Shards, etc). An ambitious undertaking but
I'm not sure how they hope to get the funding considering that they also claim
they don't seek to make a profit and that all money they do receive is from
"donations" and not from regular monthly charges.

Rasdan