[MUD-Dev] Hobby Muds and Money

Mordengaard mordengaard at redhotant.com
Thu May 18 22:03:50 CEST 2000

From: Maarten van Leunen

> Are there any games out there that are run by hobbyists, however that do
> bring in the necessary money to pay for the internet connection/eletricity
> and such?

What we're doing here at Yhared is using banner ads on our web pages and
offering a range of merchandising products, such as t-shirts, caps, mouse
mats etc.  We're also offering a book version of Yhared's excellently
written history, and a book containing short stories based on player
exploits.  Or at least, this is the plan (we're not open yet).  Other ideas
might be a poster of the map of the world, a "birth certificate" for the
character, and so on.  Naturally, all this will depend on us being a
successful MUD, but I think we can swing that :)

Mordengaard