[MUD-Dev] The great myth of broadband

Brian Green brian at psychochild.org
Sun May 21 15:19:03 CEST 2000

I found an interesting survey while reading about the 'net.

http://www.thestandard.com/research/metrics/display/0,2799,15018,00.html

It's an article on some of the studies done by a few research firms.

The most interesting is one by Jupiter communications:

--------------------
U.S Net Population Broadband Adoption Plans

 2% Within the next six months
 3% Within the next year
 5% Within the next two years
 5% Already have broadband
11% As soon as it's offered
73% No plans to switch to broadband
--------------------

Yep, that's right, about three-quarters of current net users have no
plans to upgrade from their 56K (if that) modems.

I had to give a chuckle at this.  If I had a dollar for every person at
the GDC that went on about broadband online games, I could wire every
house in my neighborhood with broadband.  The fact is, most people
either don't see a need for broadband, or simply won't have access to it
anytime soon.

My own mother is a prime example.  She's heavy into online card games
and chat; she'd be a perfect target for some non-traditional types of
online games.  However, don't hold your breath waiting for her to get
broadband.  She's quite happy with her 56k dialup account.

(Can hear the Skotos crowd cheering in the background. ;)

--
"And I now wait / to shake the hand of fate...."  -"Defender", Manowar
     Brian Green, brian at psychochild.org  aka  Psychochild
      |,4-  ) )-,_..;\ (  `'-'  "Ritalin Cures Next Picasso"
     '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)               -The_Onion_, August 4th, 1999