[MUD-Dev] Free Speech

Par Winzell zell at alyx.com
Sun May 21 22:51:15 CEST 2000

Jeff Freeman writes:
 > In the first
 > case, the players were engaging in tinysex, or so close to it that other
 > players complained.  We asked them to go somewhere more private for that
 > sort of thing.  In the second case, the players were in the tavern across
 > the street from the bank comparing their local illegal drug prices.  We also
 > asked those players not to do that there.  I don't even know how to respond
 > to this.

Well, presumably your response would depend on how you feel about the
letter. Since it's a private Mud you don't really have any obligation
to do anything but give him the finger. If you want to take some of his
comments to heart and/or engage in dialogue, that's a different matter.

 > Anyway... comments?  I'd tell him I reserve the right to ban people for
 > ticking me off, but somehow I don't think he'll accept that.

If that is indeed your policy -- and personally I think such a policy
is more honestly stated as "you have no rights whatsoever" -- then of
course wether or not he accepts it is of no consequence. Gruffness is
key here -- MUD admins do not cultivate it just for the powerkick!
Once you start motivating your actions, you addict your players to
motivation. Teleporting to the main square and saying "Kids, find a
bloody room." versus saying "We don't allow tinysex in public places"
is gigantic; the second one is an open invitation to every wanker in
the world to send you their 600-page manifestos. Only allow that to
happen if you think it will improve your game.

So. Why precisely are you perturbed by this mail? Are you searching
your soul or would you rather he silently disappered beneath the
waves?

Pär