[MUD-Dev] Free Speech

Matthew Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Mon May 22 06:07:49 CEST 2000

On Sun, 21 May 2000, Jeff Freeman wrote:

> I just received this email from a player (references to WoD, that's us).
> This was in response to a couple of things:  Players in one case at the the
> main bank in the game - about as common an area as they get - and in the
> second case in the tavern across the street from the bank.  In the first
> case, the players were engaging in tinysex, or so close to it that other
> players complained.  We asked them to go somewhere more private for that
> sort of thing.  In the second case, the players were in the tavern across
> the street from the bank comparing their local illegal drug prices.  We also
> asked those players not to do that there.  I don't even know how to respond
> to this.  Mind, we ARE a private MUD.  When we accept new users, they apply
> and only after their application is accepted are they allowed online.  This
> is baffling.

> I am aware of several other players who have been warned about the content
> of their speach to date, but since there was no real threat of retaliation
> from admin, I did not see a need to bring up this rather touchy subject.
> Given that we talk of WoD as a "community", it is modeled upon a "town"
> structure, we have venders, we have "town meetings", we have real life
> gatherings of players, we have relationships, marriages, and friendships who
> all gather here to communicate.  If AOL and Prodigy can not control the
> content of user's speach, then I do not see how any court would allow WoD
> admin to.

This guy has been hitting the crack pipe too hard. Tell him to shut up or
he gets banned. You are a small private mud. It doesn't really matter if
he's legally right or not. Neither he, nor anyone else, is going to sue
you or arouse any sort of prosecutorial ire. You are perfectly safe.
(Incidentally I do not think he's legally right nor do I think he knows
what he's talking about.)

> The simple solution is to not try and play the thought and speach police.
> Each situation needs to be handled on its own.  If someone is forcing
> unwanted subjects/issues on another...that is harrassment.  But if two or
> more players want to discuss a topic....that should be a decision for them
> to make...not you, and not I.  This is not a humble or other opinion....Free
> Speach is the law of the land.  If you are so concerned about players
> breaking the law...then it should be incumbent upon Admin to make sure they
> are not.

Screw that, it's your game and your world, and if you don't want them
discussing local smack prices, then ensure they get cursed with something
that removes their voices. Oh, look at that, the nasty little
voice-remover-monster has wandered in and taken away your voice. Sorry!
Part of the game and all that.

--matt