[MUD-Dev] What I want, what players want

Nicolai Hansen nic at aub.dk
Sun May 28 09:06:47 CEST 2000

Andrew wrote:
> Which path should I follow?

Well, I guess it depends on if you wanna create a mud you are proud of, =
or a mud that is gonna be "famous" - what is more important to you, an =
artistic MUD or a MUD that is gonna be loved by its players.
>From my point of view there is no doubt that the artistic MUD is the =
goal, I find the beauty the goal, then the players can follow, or not.
Of course commercial developers does not share this point of view O:)

On the other hand, I know of a lot of players who are really sick of =
those easy more or less stock dikus, and would like to try out something =
more advanced (most of those end up playing LPs of some kind) and I =
think there will be a fairly large playerbase for your MUD if it is good =
enough.

Your largest problem would be to create the world. As you say, it will =
take years, and on a MUD where the artistic view is the goal, there is =
no easy way around creating areas and mobiles.

Too, I find that a large player base attracts even more players. I have =
often thought about making some special mobs AI players, to artificially =
increase counts. I know this is a bit to the side, but I find many =
players log on, type who, then log off again if there is less than, say =
20, people online.

This might be an idea for you?

Regards, Nicolai