[MUD-Dev] What I want, what players want

Andrew Ritchie ritchie at pacific.net.au
Sun May 28 13:10:40 CEST 2000

MUD-Dev subscribers,

Over the past few years, I have been contemplating my 'dream' MUD, as I
never really have played any ORPG that I've viewed as incredible.  So,
about 2 1/2 years ago, I started learning how to program in C and started
working on my own MUD custom-built server, which was functional as a basic
server with one room, one object and one player about 6 months ago when I
decided to stop work on it.

The reason I stopped working on it is because I was obsessed with making
everything believable (in the game-context), yet I knew that it was simply
not possible to make a game in which the mechanics (not the story line)
resembled that of life itself.  For instance, dynamic room descriptions
which displayed different messages depending on the weather, time of year,
time of day etc., yet a world that could be traveled (from one corner to
another) over a minimum period of at least a few real-life weeks.
Libraries full of books hundreds of pages long that told snippets of the
history of the world.  Player-run justice and economic systems.  Detail,
detail, detail.  I knew that if achieving my Xanadu was not impossible, it
certainly was many years off.

The other reason is because I knew what I wanted would not appeal to the
masses.  I wanted a role-playing intensive MUD, Permadeath, magic to be
rare, a detailed combat system which required a lot of user input &
thinking, and a whole host of other things.  I wanted really to create a
book in which the players are the characters.  It is not a game, it is an
alternate reality.  Although hugely attractive to me, this simply (from
what I can see) does not appeal to the masses.

Yet the other reason I wanted to create a MUD was to be the 'father' of a
game which thousands of people knew about.  I don't really think it's about
being power-hungry, but more of knowing that something I've created - a
piece of art of you like - is accepted and loved by others around the
world.

This brings me to my question. I can spend years on my Xanadu, and finish
designing my dream. However, I believe that my dream is not similar to the
majority of MUDders, and would only attract a very small playerbase.
Alternatively, I can create a fun MUD which has 'player-friendly' features,
which could attract many players.  However, there still would be something
missing for me, because I would not have created my dream.  Which path
should I follow?

Regards,

---
Andrew Ritchie