[MUD-Dev] Self-Sufficient Worlds

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Sun May 28 20:14:27 CEST 2000

On Sat, 27 May 2000 22:59:43 -0700
Zak Jarvis <zak at voidmonster.com> wrote:

>> From: Angela Ferraiolo [a.ferraiolo at worldnet.att.net] Sent:
>> Saturday, May 27, 2000 12:52 AM

>> Slipping out of lurk mode to say that, unless I'm
>> misunderstanding you, this is not so hard to do, it's called
>> embedded narrative, and it's been around for at least twenty
>> years...take a look at Potocki.  You need an event db that
>> supports it, is all.

> How much for another clue? :)

This seems related:

  http://www.uni-koeln.de/~ame02/ppp.htm
  http://www.uni-koeln.de/~ame02/pppn.htm

And slightly off the beam:

  http://members.aol.com/arkmast/narr03.html
  http://lamar.colostate.edu/~pwryan/index.html  (authoritative in the field)
  http://www.rrz.uni-hamburg.de/narratologie/test/

A publication:

  http://www.ed.gov/databases/ERIC_Digests/ed250698.html

A definition:

  http://www.utlink.utoronto.ca/WWW/UTEL/glossary/Narratology.html

--<cut>--
Narratology:

An offshoot of structuralism which seeks to apply the linguistic
model to the analysis of narrative. Its enabling distinction is
between story (the "actual" chronological sequence of events) and
discourse (the order in which those events are presented to the
reader). Narratology attempts to construct a poetics of fiction or
grammar of storytelling, analyzing the codes, conventions, and
systems that structure all narration. (See also Structuralism.)
--<cut>--

> I tried Mud-dev searches and HotBot searches and turned up exactly
> nothing.

Google was my guide.

J C Lawrence                                 Home: claw at kanga.nu
----------(*)                              Other: coder at kanga.nu