[MUD-Dev] Domain Names and Trademarks

Sellers Sellers
Tue May 30 09:15:10 CEST 2000

Jon Morrow wrote:
> I spent several days looking for a unique .com, discovering that all words
> in almost every major language are taken, most combinations are taken, and
> almost every pronounceable non-word domain name is taken.  The best I have
> managed to come up with is a non-word that is one letter different from
two
> other software companies.  The name sounds great, but I have to worry
about
> trademark disputes.  Any thoughts or new information?

If you're serious about this, you need a good lawyer.  Really.  We got a
quick course in "trademarks 101" from our legal firm when we had to change
the name of our company and domain (from Terra Nova Interactive to Archetype
Interactive, when Looking Glass informed us they had a trademark on "Terra
Nova"), but I'm by no means qualified to comment on your situation.

There *are* good domain names left out there, though it's literally several
orders of magnitude more difficult to find one you like than it was a few
years ago.

Best of luck.

Mike Sellers