[MUD-Dev] Walking

S. Patrick Gallaty choke at sirius.com
Fri Nov 10 12:35:43 CET 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: Nathan F. Yospe <yospe at kanga.nu>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Friday, November 10, 2000 10:25 AM
Subject: Re: [MUD-Dev] Walking

> "Philip Loguinov, Draymoor" <fibhufky at erols.com> said:
>
> > Does anyone know about how far an average person can wak in a day?
>
> ~25 miles (not a couch potato, mind)
>
> > How about forced march?
>
> ~45 miles
>
> How about a horse?
>
> No clue.

this is all from recollection, it's been a while since I did much tabletop
wargaming but -

it's crtitical to know what sort of terrain we are talking.  In usual
models,
20-ish miles walking is 'road travel' in 'road order'.  That means no
considerations except fastest possible movement on prepared roads
in good order.
You can halve that if a person needs to find their own way, or on clear
but not prepared terrain. (~10m/day)
You can halve that again in unfriendly terrain, such as woods, brush,
rough. (~5m/day) and factor exhaustion and injury.

forced march isn't free.  in tabletop games you may double attrition
during forced march and all injuries are considered attrition.

I believe a single unburdened horseman is expected to do 200m/day.
The difference is that the horse is not affected as much by inclination
and terrain, and can sustain a 20m/hr pace for long durations.
Horse do not gain as much from roads, however - but they also are
not penalized for plains/brush.

I don't remember about wagons/livery (livery in this case meaning
the various retainers/servants and baggage) however I remember they
are about as slow as men on foot (and gain a bonus from road)

Check all these #s, I don't have any reference materials onhand.