[MUD-Dev] Consistent Characters (Was Remote client connection)

John W Pierce jwp at r2systems.com
Sun Nov 19 10:04:11 CET 2000

 > From: "Marian Griffith" <gryphon at iaehv.nl>
 >
 > By removing classes but keeping player-run Guilds in place,
 > what we're hoping to achieve is player-regulated "classes"...

Yes, I think this is the correct idea, though it requires somewhat more real
role playing than a lot of players seem to be capable of. One thing that can
be done to reinforce this idea is to have the NPCs alter their reactions to
players based on player actions. That requires some care in assessing what
the NPCs can reasonably "know" - if a player slaughters some innocent 20
miles from the nearest witness, then it shouldn't affect NPC reactions - and
in balancing NPC "preferences" for player actions, but it can help provide
consequences for those actions that don't feel too "artificial". Even little
things can help; for example, players who always say "please" and "thank
you" when buying something in a pub get a free beer every once in a while.

-- John W Pierce, R2 Systems, San Diego
   jwp at r2systems.com