[MUD-Dev] (no subject)

Marian Griffith gryphon at iaehv.nl
Sun Nov 26 20:48:31 CET 2000

In <URL:/archives/meow?group+local.muddev> on Sun 19 Nov, John Buehler wrote:
> >From: Marian Griffith <gryphon at iaehv.nl>

> >You would put restrictions  on what a character can do  if it is  either
> >physically impossible for them (obviously) or if you, as a world-builder
> >want to keep the players  true-to-type.  Paladins are supposed to be the
> >champions  of their god,  and will have no desire  to do something wrong
> >(ideally, that is). While some players will see the challenge in playing
> >the paladin in character,  others will merely see a "cool" set of abili-
> >ties.  To prevent dilution of the meaning of the term paladin  you might
> >want to restrict the abilities of that class, if that matters to you, as
> >a game designer.  There are of course other ways to achieve the same end
> >result, but all take away freedom of the players one way or another,

>   I once postulated a system where faction/opinion/liking/regard was a very
> significant factor in the world's operation.  Whenever any character does
> anything, all characters that can perceive that action make a judgement call
> about that action.  Most actions would be inconsequential, but some actions
> would cause characters to form a positive or negative opinion of the
> character performing the action in question.

[snipped]

>   What does this all have to do with paladins, you ask.  The gods are more
> NPCs (whether they manifest themselves in the world or not).  And their
> perceptions can be as perfect as you like.  And they judge the player
> character actions, resulting in some faction rating with each god

My argument was  that a paladin class must have restrictions placed on
them in some way.  This may be quite straightforward,  or  it might be
subtle as in the above example,  and it might even be  just the social
mores of a group of players. T he determining factor is how much trust
you can (will) put into the players, and how much effort you are will-
ing to put into the coding.

Marian
will there be loneliness ...

Rolan Choosing Talia,