[MUD-Dev] Refactoring (was Object Models)

Gavin Doughtie gavin at idealab.com
Sun Nov 26 21:46:09 CET 2000

Travis Casey wrote:

> The usual problem that I've run into with adding things like that in
> muds isn't updating objects that use those components -- it's going
> back and changing everything that's already finished that *should*
> have used those components.
>
> Well, there's a old, well-known solution to that -- although it also
> goes down badly:  Build one to throw away.  Engineers building
> physical systems prototype, and it's a good thing to do with software
> systems as well.

Another approach is the "constant refactoring" touted in the Extreme Programming method
(http://www.xprogramming.com). The basic idea is that by constantly going back and fixing
your system as the need for design changes become apparent, that you can have a running
system whose design never krufts up.