[MUD-Dev] Object Models

Miroslav Silovic silovic at zesoi.fer.hr
Wed Nov 29 17:17:11 CET 2000

"John Buehler" <johnbue at msn.com> writes:

> No, I think you've hit upon something that would be a practical
> challenge to implement.  As I stated, it's DOABLE, but getting the
> infrastructure in place would be interesting.  Existing instances of
> a component are represented by a one-time load of code and many
> little (hopefully) chunks of memory floating around.  If the memory
> sixe increases, that's a real challenge.  But if it's just code
> changes or the memory layout is altered or shrunk, I think it's
> completely practical.

It would be interesting to note that CLOS (Common LISP Object System)
specification -requires- the conforming CLOS implementation to cause
all the instances of a class to change whenever the class definition
is changed at runtime - even if their internal representation is
expanded.

Obviously, this isn't trivial to implement without nasty performance
penalties, but it definitely is doable.

--
How to eff the ineffable?