[MUD-Dev] Realistic travel times/virtual terrain

Richard Tew richard.tew at wiredgroup.com
Fri Oct 6 14:39:20 CEST 2000

I've been developing my mud for years now and not being contrained by =
some
strange idea that the players have to have it easy (or that I ever care =
if
my mud has any players in the end) I plan to implement realistic travel
times.
=20
Have you ever played a mud where travelling across a vast desert was the
same
number of moves or perhaps even way less than travelling through a city? =
 Or
along the same lines, travelling through a city took about the same =
number
of
moves as travelling from the edge of that city to a whole nother city?
Basically, muds that use playable travel times rather than realistic =
ones.
=20
My question is, has anyone actually implemented a mud where the travel =
times
are proportionate?  Where the distance travelled in the mud world is
directly proportional to the time it takes the player.  What do your =
players
think?  Do they like or dislike it?

I initially posted this to rec.games.mud.admin, and while I did get
some great responses, I didn't get ones that were really relevant to
to the area I was interested in - the use of this in open muds.
I am currently reading through the list archives and this is based on a
thread that happened around the first quarter of '97.

Thanks,
Richard - Donky at Nameless Sorrows (http://nameless-sorrows.org:3002)