[MUD-Dev] VRML

msew msew at ev1.net
Sat Oct 14 08:35:04 CEST 2000

At 08:13 10/09/00 +1300, Richard Tew wrote:
>but not knowing
>where VRML is going means that I am no longer sure what we planned to do
>with VRML will still be possible.
>
>Can anyone recommend any good resources which clearly indicate the state of
>play and perhaps have good relevant news articles to anyone wanting to use
>VRML?

I don't have any a lot of references but I can tell you what I know and
have read.

<short synopsis>

VRML was plugged as the next big thing.  the online graphics
format!  Better than sliced bread.

Sadly do to some tech issues ( ie vrml language is a bit sketchy ) and some
political issues and getting browsers working and terrible
performance  VRML never took off.

the web community at large declared it dead.

recently the web consortium is trying to bring back VRML.  Trying to better
define what it's purpose is and better define the language. and make it faster.

web community just semi groaned at this and chuckled softly

</short synopsis>

here is a
link:  http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=00/10/05/1359214&mode=thread

you can branch from there

and

basically I would not use VRML for anything :-) use flash or other
technologies for your purposes.

the fact that there is the VRML97 and no 98 or 99 or 00  should give you
some warning signs.  Internet moves a bit faster than that and no movement
over 3 years should be credence enough to just say no! :-)

msew