[MUD-Dev] Declaration of the Rights of Avatars

Andy andy at mouseclick.demon.co.uk
Tue Oct 17 20:51:19 CEST 2000

> On Thu, 5 Oct 2000 sverre at munthe.net wrote:

>> Why can't the game designers understand what they are doing? You
>> are giving people the oportunity to engange themselves in a virtual
>> world and you deny them the simplest of rights. People get attached
>> to these characters, and more so the better the graphics gets.

> ?? I find that I'm far more attached to my characters in text games
> than games with graphics.

I am not sure you can really compare graphical games to text based
games in a way that is fair to the graphical games. You have to
remember that graphical games are still only very primitive looking
things when compared to the imaging device that text based muds have
access to - the human brain.  IMHO Sverre is right in what he says; as
the graphics improve the attachment players have to their characters
will also increase.  This is NOT BECAUSE it is graphical but BECAUSE
the characters we control will begin to provide more outward signs of
the emotions we expect from real people.

Graphical games have already begun to allow limited expression through
the clothes a character may ware e.g. all black leather to express the
evil or brooding nature of yourcharacter.

Muds will live for as long as the written word lives, but I think that
graphical games (or perhaps we should start saying
multi-sensory games?) are the way of the future.

After all, a picture can say a thousand words.

Andy