[MUD-Dev] Admin: Kanga.Nu troubles...

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Tue Oct 17 21:47:33 CEST 2000

Writing as list host:

  Kanga.Nu's troubles are not over.  When the dirve died earlier it
appears to have also corrupted several files and filesystems on
other drives.  This is not terribly surprising as it appears as if
the now dead drive spent some time screwing about with the SCSI bus
in unpleasant and data-unfriendly ways.  The result is that Kanga.Nu
has gained the tendency to lock solid after an average 4 hour
runtime.

  Not good.  The resultant file system checks (fsck) also didn't
help.

  Unfortunately one of the files so attacked was the tripwire
database, so I'm unable to determine with good certainty *what*
files were hit.  Arrgh.  For those interested there is no evidence
of the system having been cracked.  I'm not taking any chances
however.

  So, I've taken Kanga.Nu off-net while I rebuild it.  It should be
back in service within 48 hours.

J C Lawrence                                 Home: claw at kanga.nu
---------(*)                               Other: coder at kanga.nu
http://www.kanga.nu/~claw/        Keys etc: finger claw at kanga.nu