[MUD-Dev] Criminalize Community Volunteers?

david.l.smith at home.com david.l.smith at home.com
Wed Sep 6 09:19:52 CEST 2000

*considers*

	It seems that there are two questions here, first a legal question, and
second a moral question.

	Legally, is there an argument to be made about community volunteers working
for profit-taking companies as members of some larger community?

	Yes. The question does exist, we're talking about it.

	Morally, should we agree with the law. In other words, do we individually
feel that the stated kinds of actions by the for-profit company with respect
to the volunteers constitute some kind of inujustice?

	I can't answer for you, but personally: No. As a member of a community
within which, as has *often* ben previously discussed, I am virtually
anonymous if I so choose to be, if I volunteer it is precisely because I am
able to get something valuable from my experience as part of the community.
As an overworked, unpaid, harried, and *incredibly happy* admin on a UOX
shard, I take a sense of accomplishment, pride, and some vague
warm-fuzziness away from my efforts. I volunteer for this position, when
IRL, a group blindly requesting my assistance (hello sir, I'm calling
from...) is more likely to receive a short click than an answer. The
difference is that online I will only volunteer to the extent that I am
doing something enjoyable.

Above all, it's been said that a man who works hard hours, and long days at
something he loves always has adequate recompense.